Continuing my reading of Colossians, this following instruction from Paul struck me:
"Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone."
In our weekly "Christian Hoops Ministry" (basketball with a Christian emphasis), we've been talking about how important it is to conduct ourselves in a Christ-like manner. Each and everyone of us makes an impression upon whomever (or is that "whoever" ... I never can get this straight!) we meet. If we are crass, rude, grumpy or impolite, we risk giving the impression to others that Christians are no different from the rest of the world. However, if we display gentleness, kindness, happiness and wholesomeness, then folks will notice something different about us. That difference is Christ living in us ... and through us. This is a perfect opportunity to let them catch a glimpse of Christ, and hopefully draw them closer to Him.
So what about that "seasoned with salt" phrase? When I think of someone speaking "salty", I think of sailor talk. You know, talk spiced with curse words, sexual innuendos, etc. Is that what Paul means? Heavens no! Salt was -- and still is -- highly valued as a preservative, and was highly prized. It was considered something VERY good. What Paul is saying here is that our speech should be something highly valued and wholesome.
Each morning, I pray that God helps me recognize any opportunities that may pass my way. I don't want to miss those opportunities to be nice, kind and friendly, or to serve others. That is our charge: to make the most of every opportunity.
GJS
Saturday, December 8, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment