2 Timothy, although one of the shortest books in the New Testament, is jam-packed with incredible information and directives. Before I delve further into some of these, I want to re-visit my previous article, which discussed Paul’s missive to utilize one’s spiritual gifts and talents.
Each morning, in addition to reading chapters from the Bible, I read a daily devotional from Max Lucado’s Grace for the Moment book. The book is filled with wonderful thoughts and insights, and is always uplifting and often challenging. After penning my thoughts on spiritual gifts earlier this week, I came to Lucado’s brief discussion of this subject in his book. Lucado concentrates on this passage from 1 Corinthians 12:7:
“A spiritual gift is given to each of us as a means of helping the entire church.”
Here is an excerpt of Lucado’s thoughts:
“Remember, God pre-packed you with strengths. When you become a child of God, the Holy Spirit requisitions your abilities for the expansion of God’s kingdom, and they become spiritual gifts. The Holy Spirit may add other gifts according to his plan. But no one is gift deprived.”
Each and every one of us has gifts and talents that God wants us to use to help others and further His kingdom. If you don’t know what yours might be, ask others who know you. The challenge is putting these gifts to work for others and for the Lord.
Now, on with some more important topics that Paul is teaching in his letter to Timothy. I want to consider this incredible paragraph that is in the very first chapter:
“So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of me his prisoner. But join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God, who has saved us and called us to a holy life – not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel.”
There is so much packed into this one paragraph, that it is difficult to grasp it all. The absolute great news is that we, as believers in Christ Jesus, are saved by the power and grace of God. We didn’t earn it, and we cannot earn it. God has given us the incredible gift of salvation due to his own benevolence. This grace was manifested and revealed in the person of Jesus, who overcame death and gave us the promise of immortality and eternity. That’s the gospel message packed into one paragraph … and what a message it is!
I want to concentrate, however, on the very first sentence: “So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord …” Why on earth should we be ashamed? We have been given the greatest gift possible – the key to eternal salvation and immortality. Why in the world would we want to keep that a secret?
The answer is simple: because we are afraid we will be embarrassed. I know I have struggled with the issue of what we like to call “witnessing”. Would I be viewed as some sort of religious fanatic? Would folks I think of as “friends” begin to feel uncomfortable around me and no longer want me around? Would folks think I’m trying to cram my beliefs down their throat, or impose my lifestyle upon them? Would family members feel uncomfortable, or perhaps too overbearing or inconsiderate of their beliefs? Perhaps it is just wiser to adhere to the old adage of not discussing religion or politics.
That would be the easy way out … but it isn’t what we are directed to do. Indeed, in Matthew 28:19-20, Jesus issues what we have come to call the “Great Commission”:
“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.”
There are many other passages in the Bible that order us to do the same. Here are just a few:
“As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” – John 20:21
“We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us.” – 2 Corinthians 5:20
Even the Old Testament warns us that we have an obligation to tell the world about the Lord and try to get them to turn from their evil ways:
“When I say to a wicked man, ‘You will surely die,’ and you do not warn him or speak out to dissuade him from his evil ways in order to save his life, that wicked man will die for his sin, and I will hold you accountable for his blood.”
The best and most meaningful book I’ve read outside of the Bible is Rick Warren’s The Purpose Driven Life. It is a masterpiece, and a true guide to help us understand our purpose and to put that understanding into practice. Chapter 36 in the book is entitled “Made for a Mission”, and it is the most hard-hitting and meaningful chapter in any book I’ve ever read. It echoes what the Bible tells us: Our mission –pure and simple – is to tell others about Jesus. To do less would be to disobey God.
Yet, we don’t do it, because we are afraid. In addition to our fear of being embarrassed, we also might be afraid that we won’t know what to say. The Lord promises us that He will be with us, and will speak through us. Remember the assurance he gave Moses, who was terrified of having to appear before Pharaoh and demand the release of the Israelites. Moses said, “Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?” The Lord’s response was simple, yet assuring: “I will be with you.”
The Lord will help you say what needs to be said. You certainly can prepare for this by being familiar with the Bible, and by living as a Christian. But, when under pressure while attempting to tell others about Him, the Lord will be with you.
Let’s get back to that fear of embarrassment aspect. When you receive good news, what is the first thing you want to do? Usually, that is sharing it with others. When you proposed to your spouse (or were proposed to!) and she said “yes”, did you keep it a secret and not tell anyone? No, at the first opportunity, you probably called everyone you knew and told them the good news. When a husband and wife discover they are going to have a baby, do they keep mum about this? No, they proudly announce the good news to everyone they know. When you receive a great gift for your birthday or Christmas, do you keep it secured in your closet? No, you likely tell everyone about it and show it off at every opportunity. So why in the world would you not do the same with the absolute greatest gift you could ever have received? You need to share it with the world!
Don’t be embarrassed or ashamed. In Luke 9:26, Jesus says bluntly:
“If anyone is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him.”
Later in 2 Timothy, Paul quotes a “trustworthy saying”: “If we disown him, he will also disown us.”
I don’t want the Lord to be ashamed of me. Nor do I want to be disowned. Further, I WANT others to know about Jesus, and how they can be saved. I WANT others to know the joy and peace I have through knowing Jesus and having Him in my life. As Rick Warren says, “Telling others how they can have eternal life is the greatest thing you can do for them.” Conveying this good … no, GREAT news is FAR more important than any temporary embarrassment or rejection I may experience. It is what God wants us to do. Who are we to disobey him?
Want more good news? Sometimes – indeed, MOST of the time – we can convey the Gospel message to others without having to say much, if anything at all. The old adage holds true: “actions speak louder than words.” If you are living the Christian life, you will be spreading joy, friendship and love wherever you go and whatever you do. Others will see that love and joy, and will catch a glimpse of what life with Christ is like. “Walking the walk” is even more important than “talking the talk”. As St. Augustine reminded us – and I’m paraphrasing – “Wherever you go, spread the Gospel. And if necessary, use words.”
We do have a mission in life, and it is God ordained. That mission is to tell others about Jesus. For far too long I shirked this duty, hiding behind excuses and in fear of embarrassment. No more. I want to let my actions, words and entire life convey the great news of Jesus and salvation. I want to experience the pure ecstasy of meeting others in heaven who may be there because God used me in some fashion to help them find Jesus. What a joy that will be!
Saturday, December 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment