Wrapping-up his second letter to the Thessalonians, Paul issues a warning against idleness, and instructs Christians to “keep way from every brother who is idle and does not live according to the teaching”.
There are some interesting things to consider here. First, let’s talk a bit about “idleness”. Apparently, there was a problem with some new believers who felt that the second coming of Christ was imminent. The thought in their minds must have been, “Why work when the Savior will be back at any moment?” Paul was warning against this, saying that Christians needed to work. “Work” had … and still has … dual meaning:
1) People had to work to earn a living for themselves and their families; and
2) Christians were expected to “work” by helping spreading the Good News of the gospel.
Both of these points were clear in that Christians were not to sit idly and wait for others to do either their secular “work” or the Lord’s work. Every Christian was expected to do both. Indeed, Paul emphasizes this with a harsh rule: “If a man will not work, he shall not eat.” As the footnote in my NIV Study Bible states: “The Christian must not be a loafer”. There’s another common saying that holds true: “The idle mind is the devil’s playground”.
But what about that warning to “keep away from every brother who is idle and does not live according to the teaching”? Does this mean we are not to associate with anyone who is a non-believer, or with Christians who aren’t living according to the Word?
No … not exactly. What Paul means here is not to get into a close fellowship or friendship with these folks. Ideally, for non-believers, we should attempt to tell them about Jesus and pray that they will accept Him as their personal Lord and Savior. If they do accept Jesus, then we are free to become the best of friends! But if they don’t, is it OK to socialize with them? Sure. In today’s society, it is difficult not to do so. There may be folks at your work or in various organizations to which you belong who are not believers. There is no way to avoid interacting or socializing with them. What should we do?
We should not treat them rudely or shun them. Rather, we should demonstrate good Christian behavior and love, and let the light of Christ shine through us. Perhaps by our actions, deeds and conduct they will see the difference Christ has made in our life, and want to have the same thing happen to them. However, Paul warns us not to get into a close relationship or friendship with these folks, as we could be corrupted and stray from the true path.
Much the same holds true for our brothers in Christ who have strayed. Try to minister to them and bring them back to Christ. Pray for them, and let your deeds, conduct and actions reflect Christ living within you. But, Paul warns us not to get into a close friendship with them, lest we, too, may stray.
GJS
Saturday, December 8, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
A key issue here is the use of the word "brother", which usually indicates a reference to believers or people who claim to be believers.
An applicable verse:
I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.
What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside.
1 CORINTHIANS 5:9-13 (NIV)
Very apt addendum to Greg's thoughts! It's one of those "distinction" verses which clarifies Paul's actual intent. So many people read Scripture out of context (or isolate passages from others which might not fit their agenda) and this is a great example where Paul didn't say everything he needed to in one passage.
I tend to agree with Mark. I think we ARE to have have relations with nonbelievers in order that we can impact them. I don't think we can have much impact if I say, "well, we can talk at the water cooler, but let's not hang out to watch Monday night football."
I think this is one of the great problems in the church. We are to be the salt of the earth but too often we get wrapped up in our Christian agendas, doing church things and hanging with church folks. In doing so, we have no real opportunity to be a testimony to unbelievers.
Is there really a lot of love when I hand a homeless man a blanket? Well, it's an act of love, but just one act. It shows no real commitment to the man and, in my mind, no deep love. It's another thing if I involve myself in his life, get to know him, and care about him. The dangerous thinking here is that Christians can make people into missionary projects. In that case, they're doing a noble deed but without a right heart. The goal is to impact the person's life because we are serving God, but we miss serving the person. Real love involves an investment of time and energy and a willingness to love the person not the task.
I do agree that light doesn't mix with darkness and I agree that believers should not be yolked with unbelievers. In this regard, I don't think it's wise (or even right) for the Christian to enter into business with a nonbeliever or to marry a nonbeliever. I know it seems hypocritical, but I do see a distinction.
With these deep commitments we are bound together and likely to run into situations where we need to make mutual decisions. This cannot happen easily when each person's values and beliefs are not in sync. There is bound to be trouble.
With a friendship, we are not bound (yolked) together. I can run my life as I see fit. My friend can run his in his own way. There can still be friendship and caring within that relationship. We can still love our friend as Christ freely loves everyone. The key is that we don't enter so deeply into the friendship that we compromise our own values. For example, I shouldn't be going to parties where sex or drugs will be present. I am not to allow myself to fall into worldliness because of that friendship. But if I am getting together with my unbelieving friend for football, for lunch, for a weekend hike, these are all acceptable and enjoyable activities and there is no compromise. I think it is only in these ways, where we build deeper friendship, where I have the opportunity to really care for another that I can become a living testimony.
I do think there is a problem if you find that you're hanging out with only unbelieving friends. I think we are called into the fellowship of believers for sure and I do think that primarily our friends should be believers. It may sound like I'm trying to straddle the fence, but what I am really trying to say is we need to be in the world but not of it. How can we be salt if we're not in it?
GREAT responses, Mario, Mark and Lenny! I can definitely see your point, and do believe that the course of action you suggest is what the Lord wants us to do.
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond and add your thoughts. This is EXACTLY the type of dialog I wanted to start with the Contemplating the Word series.
Keep your thoughts and insight coming!
Thanks, Greg. And let's not forget that Christ was always stepping into the company of sinners. It's how he won so many hearts and yet one other faulty example the Pharisees cited against him.
Post a Comment